Did anyone notice this dress on the front page of Brisbane's Sunday Mail 'event' liftout? It's made completely out of suffolk puffs or yo-yos.
It was part of a fashion shoot for the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival. The photographer is Ian Golding. Unfortunately I can't tell you who designed the dress. They either don't give credit or I couldn't find it. I have emailed the paper so I might have some news later.
The photos were all taken at the Tangalooma wrecks on Moreton Island, practically my backyard. Check out the other designs at the Sunday Mail
This post was first published here on 29th June, 2009.
It's very blowy and wet outside, courtesy of Cyclone Olga. Good day to stay inside. I thought that it was the perfect opportunity to get my head around the book I'm planning. The home computer wasn't in the mood for starting. I think that it was just having a hissy fit because I haven't been on it much lately. While I was waiting, waiting I started cutting some more junk mail up for beads. I needed to replace all the ones I sold on the weekend plus create some longer ones for a project.
Did a good couple of hours on the book. Started to feel a little confused so I thought I needed a little fun. These are Suffolk Puffs in the traditional manner, made from preloved clothes. Any ideas what the necklace cord is made of. Hint: it's preloved clothing too. And then onto experimenting. Could I make Dorset Buttons from the plastic rings around plastic bottle caps. Yes I think I can. I've just done the outside buttonholing but they certainly seem to be working.
And now for the exciting news. Motor Racing season has started again. Well sort of.It's the 24 hour race from Daytona. It is not V8s, Nascar or Indy but as Alan said they are going round in circles. Me? I can drive in circles. I want them driving fast. I think I will wind a few more beads while watching the last 3 hours.
This post was first published here on 1st February, 2010.
Slipper Pin Cushion
I was excited to receive my copy of the upcoming craft fair magazine particularly as this is the first time in years it hasn't coincided with the Gold Coast 600.
As I flicked through the magazine I noticed most of the classes had been done. I've been crafting for a lot of years and I know that there are new products and new customers who want to learn so I'm not criticising. It is just another example of why I say that there is rarely anything new, just another spin.
Another example is the slipper pincushion class. I've been making these for at least the last 5 years and have blogged about them on at least 2 occasions.
What's a Shoe Addict To Do ?
When we made the decision to close the shop last year I pondered what I would like to make now that I don't 'have' to stock the shop. Of course the core products would remain, hand dyed fabric & threads and all the kumihimos bits but what else could I indulge in?
I was going to do some shoe sewing but caring duties didn't align well with the time at the sewing machine. I will get back to these but for now they take way more concentration than I have.
Also part of the original plan was to use the fabric scraps from the above project to decoupage some loafers. I had made my self a pair last spring and got quite a few orders
While cleaning out Mum's I found my Grade 2 Report Card.
A Progress Update
Writing: Could be neater - It never got any better.
Maths: Average results. - Still has trouble with times tables.
Special Interest & Aptitudes: Creative work in art lessons. - Sad to say I reached my full potential in Grade 2. lol
Sun Dyeing, But Not As You Know It.
We had a typical winter's day for Queenslnd yesterday. They have been few and far between lately.
I decided I would take advantage of the sun and set up to do some dyeing outside. The sun was for me, not the dye.
The threads were an assortment from a sample box sent to me ages ago. I tried braiding with theses but they kept tearing. I have another project in mind but first they need some colour.
I pre-soaked the threads in soda ash, spread them out on the plastic film before adding the dye. I then massaged the dye through the threads. I mopped up the excess dye before sealing the threads inside the plastic.
Before I went back inside I checked on the front garden. I recently sprayed the weeds with vinegar. They only had about 2 hours before it rained but this morning they looked like this, approx. 10 days after the first spray.
Back inside to the sewing machine where I finished off turning Mum's nighties into back opening for Palliative Care patients. Qld Health no longer provide back opening gowns. Bit lousy. One of the nurses told me they scrounge the op shops for good quality ones and make them back opening. We had no more need for Mum's so I decided I would do the re-designing before donating them.
I worked on a few more projects but I'm not quite ready to share yet. This is code for they are not finished yet.