Sun Dyeing, But Not As You Know It.
We had a typical winter's day for Queenslnd yesterday. They have been few and far between lately.
I decided I would take advantage of the sun and set up to do some dyeing outside. The sun was for me, not the dye.
The threads were an assortment from a sample box sent to me ages ago. I tried braiding with theses but they kept tearing. I have another project in mind but first they need some colour.
I pre-soaked the threads in soda ash, spread them out on the plastic film before adding the dye. I then massaged the dye through the threads. I mopped up the excess dye before sealing the threads inside the plastic.
Before I went back inside I checked on the front garden. I recently sprayed the weeds with vinegar. They only had about 2 hours before it rained but this morning they looked like this, approx. 10 days after the first spray.
Back inside to the sewing machine where I finished off turning Mum's nighties into back opening for Palliative Care patients. Qld Health no longer provide back opening gowns. Bit lousy. One of the nurses told me they scrounge the op shops for good quality ones and make them back opening. We had no more need for Mum's so I decided I would do the re-designing before donating them.
I worked on a few more projects but I'm not quite ready to share yet. This is code for they are not finished yet.